Thursday, June 08, 2006

OU - Just rambling really.

I am partway through my studies with the Open University here i the UK. I am working towards a degree in Computing, which I figure is well overdue having spent the last 30 years working in the industry programming (Fortran, IBM Assembler, REXX) with the last 25 years spent as a Senior Systems Programmer supporting IBM's VM Operating System.

But, alas, my mainframe days are over.

But to Uni - Last year I studued Object Oriented Programming and Design (M206) which I thoroughly enjoyed (so much so, that I managed to get a Distinction). This course was a real eye-opener, all the talk of O-O that I had heard previously was all fairly dismissive and the people that I had spoken to about it (all non O-O practitioners) considered it to be nothing more that the flavour of the month (albeit, a very LONG month!). But studying O-O seriously showed me just how useful and fully formed O-O really is.

Of course, not all O-O languages are fully Object Oriented (Java, for instance), but the language that we used for studying purposes was Smalltalk (which is fully O-O as far as I can tell - even numbers are objects (whereas is Java they are not)).

Anyway, this year I decided that I ought to get my maths up to speed and so studied MU120 which is really an introduction to maths and is worth 30 points - but I had to work much harder to get 30 points from this first level course (I'm tempting fate here - although I have finished the course, I don't actually have my results yet - perhaps I have failed!), than I did to get 60 points from M206!.
Suffice to say that I found MU120 a real slog and have really learned that maths is not really my thing - I also couldn't believe just how much writing there was to do!

Buts thats all behind me now.

My current course is M254 (Java). I'm about half way through and really enjoying it (I really do mean 'really'!). Its a funny thing, but I get a real kick out of writing software - always have and find it quite a natural sort of thing to do. Anyway, managed a 98% on my last TMA submission (TMA02) and am currently working on TMA03. In fact I am several weeks behind on this couse due to the amount of time I had to spend on MU120, but I seem to be making up for lost time quite quickly - which I what I figured would happen anyway.

This course finished in October 2006 and then I shall tae a break from studying until Jan 2007 when I think I will enroll for M359 (Relational Database - Theory and Practice) which sounds fairly interesting and useful. And then I will switch to doing a Science module for 60 points - probably S104 - just because I have an interest in science - and it will count towards my Computing degree.

More updates later...

2 comments:

DBA360 said...

I appreciate for your help in solving tma02 questions. can u send me the answers u made. It will help me as a model to make the answers for my tma02.
thanks a lot for your help.

Simon said...

Hello 'ip',

You present me with two problems - the first is that I have no idea what your email address is - so I can't send you anything, and the second problem is that I can't pass on copies of my marked TMA's - I've already had an email from the OU explaining that this is frowned upon by the OU. [and just so there is no mis-understanding - I have never passed on any TMA's anyway]

What I would suggest - since you have already done TMA01 - is to review the comments made by your tutor when TMA01 was returned. If you are still in doubt as to what might be required then contact your tutor directly by phone or email (after all, thats what they are there for!) and discuss it with them. Remember, your tutor wants you to do as well as possible and will give you help where they can.

Blog Watch