Sunday, July 22, 2007

OU - More thoughts about the future

As I indicated on 13th July, I think MT262 is a definite for next year. But S194 "Introducing Astronomy" caught my eye this evening. Its only a 10pt course and lasts just 12 weeks during the winter - seems like a useful thing to while away the cold, dark, crystal clear, winter evenings! (Well, that and walking over the fields to the Mermaid at Bishopsbourne for a pint or five!)

But why do it, and why only for 10pts - isn't there something more useful you could be doing, Simon? Well, yes...and no. I could, for example, catch up on all the non-OU reading that I want to do. I could get around to fixing the hole where the rain gets in - the one my wife keeps telling me about - in fact I think I'll do that anyway. But actually, astronomy interests me, but I have never had the time to study it properly - so this is a good opportunity. It will also give me an excuse to get my refracting telescope out again - you never know...my son might even be interested (although, if you can't control it by waving a mouse around his interest wanes rapidly). But only 10pts - why all that effort? Well, I did M254 last year - enjoyed it, did very well in it, but it was only 20pts, so I need a 10pointer to go with it (and I ain't doing M253 - no way!). So there you have it - and it can count towards an 'Open' degree...which is maybe where I am heading anyway.

Ah, plans! All put up just to be blown over!

1 comment:

lexdabear said...

Hi,

I studied "Introducing Astronomy" last year. It is a good course, with great course material (the astronomy book has breathtaking pictures). Finishing this you will have a better understanding of the "big", and it will make you hungry for more. Unfortunately I decided to study something relevant for my job (MSc in Engineering), but I might come back to Astronomy afterwards.

Blog Watch