Friday, July 13, 2007

OU - What next?

After my previous post (earlier today) moaning about my (lack of) progress I thought I had better check when the courses that I have already taken expire. It turns out that M206 ceases to be usable for my DipComp at the end of 2008. Now, a few months ago I realised that, assuming I pass M359, I will be left with 10 point needed to get the Diploma. But I don't really want to spend months and months just to get 10 points - and the only 10 point course that is eligible is M253 'Team Working' and I have been tipped-off that this is a complete bastard of a course (thanks for the heads-up on that one, Ian). So M253 is not an option in my eyes.

So what to do? The obvious solution, I think, is to remove M254 (Java) from the list of courses to use against the Diploma - this means that I need 30 points now (because M254 is a 20 point course).

That means that to get the DipComp I need to complete it by the end of next year, and I need to find a 30 point course that I can use. And my inclination right now is to go for MT262 which is a courses that uses C++ for getting computers to do things. The other benefit of this is that it looks like a programming course (as opposed to anything else) and programming is my favourite computing based activity.

So MT262 is probably on the cards. After that I'll have to do some more 60 points courses - assuming that there are some left and they haven't all been converted into 30 point courses.

1 comment:

Ian M. said...

The problem Simon is that for Bsc(Hons)Computing , M253 is compulsory. Might be better to get it over and done with.

Blog Watch