Sunday, February 11, 2007

M359 - Studying Technique

I prevaricated earlier about which note taking technique to use. On previous courses I have taken copious hand-written notes and found that I very rarely ever went back to them, although the process of note taking seemed to help some of the information sink in.

This time I have forsaken the pen and paper approach and have been making notes in Microsft Word. Trouble is, I have realised that I am making even more notes than ever. This is going to make life harder than it need be I fear - so I have to find a way around this. I have also started to create my own glossary of terms (since one is not supplied as part of the course). For this I am using a good and trusty text editor. I can then use the sort command in the editor so that my glossary stays in alphbetical order. And in case you are wondering which text editor can sort lines, the anser is 'Kedit'. Kedit is based upon, and very similar to, Xedit that is used on IBM VM/CMS systems. I started using Xedit back in 1983 (when, for me, it replaced 'Edgar' its fore-runner). Xedit has always been a favourite of mine - very flexible, a decent language for writing macros (that language being REXX). So the editor is fully extendible, provides all kinds of sorting, manipulation and so on.

No comments:

Blog Watch